Home Learning Year 1
Please e-mail us with any questions or work, we are more than happy to help!
Dear Year One Parents,
Having read many articles here are some tips for teaching your child at home:
- Family Meeting: Talk to your child about the coming weeks, find out how they would like to learn, what they enjoy doing and what they find tricky in school. Make a plan together.
- Schedule: This is not going to be the same as at school but try to build in some structure which includes time for learning/you working, exercising, eating and socialising (even if in isolation you can FaceTime your friends)!
- School support: this pack contains some information however school will continue to support learning remotely to the best of our ability.
- Learning environment: maybe writing at the kitchen table, reading on the sofa, science in the kitchen, exercise in-front of the TV (Go Noodle/ 5-a-day TV on YouTube), geography/science in the garden, etc. Changing environment will keep things interesting.
- Incentives: at school we our class star charts, so why not carry on this tradition by getting them to draw and colour their own and give your child stickers as they move up their star chart!
- Take breaks: throughout the school day we encourage lots of breaks, children normally have an attention span of their age +2 minutes (5-6 years olds = 7-8 minutes!) so little and often is the best approach.
- Make it fun: You can follow your child/ children’s interests, for example if they love cooking they could read the recipe, measure out the ingredients, create a menu for lunch and write down your family’s order. Lots of maths, English and social skills developed while having lots of fun!
- Review-Revise-Reward: review with your child how things are going, revise how you could make the learning experience even better and reward yourselves for all of your hard work!
Despite the difficulty of this situation one positive thing to hold onto is that we get additional time to spend with our families and children, retreating to our homes can enable us to further develop our family bonds.
Please use this as a guide for your children for their learning this week. Please note we will not be using this work for assessment or will we be marking this upon our return. This is to give you the opportunity to continue your child’s learning in line with what we would have been doing in school. Please also use this time to have fun with your child/children and spend some quality time with your family!
We wish you all the very best and look forwarding to seeing you all soon!
The Year 1 Team
Miss Hilpert-Smith (Class Teacher) Mrs Ellgood & Mrs Pelosi (Class Teachers)
Mrs Spencer (Teaching Assistant) Ms Harris (Teaching Assistant)