Top Ten Benefits for Reading with Your Child
The Top Ten Benefits of Reading for Children:
- Their vocabulary is larger and more extensive;
- They perform better academically;
- Their imagination can run wild;
- Their creativity skills develop;
- They develop empathy;
- They gain a deeper understanding of their world;
- Their concentration levels improve;
- The parent and child bond improves;
- Their cognitive development is supported;
- Their social skills and interaction improve.
Reading with your child is so important because it enables your child to learn new vocabulary and it exposes them to rich, descriptive language. Did you know that 90% of children's vocabulary comes from reading books? Reading aloud to children stimulates and expands their understanding of the world. It helps them develop language and listening skills and prepares them for imaginative play, as well as equipping them with the skills required to write across a wide range of genres.
Remember to vary the type of texts that you read to, or with your child. Try reading poems, comics, maps, leaflets, food menus, labels, etc. This will ensure that your child has exposure to lots of different text types. Discuss the language, layout and the features of the text when reading together and most importantly, have fun!